Now that I’ve watched quite a few (more than 80) complete Korean Dramas, I’m getting interested in Japanese Dramas.
Ideas for Possible Future JDrama Viewing
- Sumika Sumire (Vimeo and YouTube, 8 episodes)
- Shitamachi Rocket
- Hanazawa Naoki
- ST: Scientific Task Force (aka Scientific Investigation Squad)
- Jin (time travel)
- Doctors Affairs (busy; meets @ older age)
- Dear Sister (missing 10 years)
- Lady Girls (40-year-old career woman)
- Bewitched in Tokyo
- Juhan Shuttai
- Hayako Sensei
- Sora from furu Ichioku no Hoshi
In Progress (1/13/2018)
- Blue Fire
- Mischievous Kiss
- Ando Lloyd = 安堂ロイド. A physicist dies and comes back to life as an android. His fiancée tries to love the android.
- Minami-kun no Koi-bito (My Little Lover) = 南くんの恋人 (5 stars). Finished on 2/3/2016. The perfect fairy tale. My favorite JDrama. 5 stars.
- Future Diary = 未来日記. Manga-based drama about 7 people with special phones that predict the future. (DramaFever).
- Tenchū = 天誅. Female ninga time travels 400 years ahead to the present day.
- The Hours of My Life = 僕のいた時間. An ordinary university student learns that he has ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). Extremely heart warming. 5 stars.
- Galileo = ガリレオ. A university professor helps a detective woman solve some “mysteries.” Episodic. Each episode is self-contained. Originally abandoned after watching all but two episodes. Decided to return to watch it.
- Clinic on the Sea = 海の上の診療所. A hospital boat goes around the inland sea of Japan visiting small islands. After abandoning this after two episodes, returned to watch all 11 episodes. 3 stars.
- Good Morning Call = グッドモーニング・コール. Based on a manga series. On Netflix. Finished 11/23/2016.
- From Five to Nine = 5時から9時まで. Quit after 5 episodes of the male lead–a Buddhist monk–being a total jerk. Revisited later and liked the last 5 episodes (6-10). Finished 1/27/2017. On KissAsian.com
- We Married as a Job = 逃げるは恥だが役に立つ. An unemployed woman cleans house for a terminally shy man 10 years older. They decide to (pretend to?) get married “as a job.” Very funny–one of my favorite Japanese Dramas. Finished on 2/1/2017. On NewAsianTV.me.
- It’s Sudden but Tomorrow We’re Getting Married = 突然ですが明日結婚します(on ＠KissAsian and @NewAsianTV and maybe a few others.) A girl from a happy family meets a television star. She wants to get married; he doesn’t. (I won’t spoil it for you.)
- Koinaka = 恋仲 (“Love” or “Love Relationship”). Two grade schoolers named Aoi fall for the same girl. Years later one of them marries the girl. Which one will it be? Finished on 3/27/2017 on @Viki.
- I’m Mita, Your Houskeeper = 家政婦のミタ. A dysfunctional family becomes even more dysfunctional until a dysfunctional housekeeper shows up. Watched last episode 4/23/2017 on @Viki.
- I’m Your Destiny = ボク、運命の人です (on @KissAsian)
- Dating: What’s It Like to Be in Love? = デート – 恋とはどんなものかしら? [ Deto – Koi to wa Donna Mono Kashira?] (on @KissAsian)
- Sunshine = おひさま. This would have been our 11th Japanese Drama, but its subtitles weren’t all translated. Initially watched episodes 1-21 and 31-40 in late 2016. In June or July 2017 we noticed that episodes 22-30 and 41-52 had been translated, so we resumed. Finished episode 52 on 5 Oct 2017 on @Viki. The plot had its ups and downs, but ended on a happy note. It begins in the period leading up to World War II and ends in about 1953, as narrated by a woman in the present-day.
- Teddy Go! 4 30-minute episodes. Not sure what it was about, but it was good Japanese practice.
- Long Vacation (YouTube, 11 episodes). A piano student’s roommate is a no show, leaving his prospective bride high and dry.
- Hero  (YouTube, 11 episodes). About prosecutors in Tokyo.
- Gokusen [Part 1] (YouTube). 3rd generation yakuza heiress becomes a high school teacher to a bunch of hoodlums.
- Secret Message (JDrama/Kdrama). No plot. Couldn’t figure this one out.
- Rainbow Rose. Hyper giggly Korean drama, overdubbed in Japanese with English subtitles. Slept through episode 1 on 12/2/2016. Can’t bear to watch another episode.
- Second to Last Love. I was initially very hopeful about this. However, after the two main actors slept together in episode 2 and talked openly about it at the beginning of episode 3, I lost all interest.
- 99 Days with a Star = 僕とスターの99日
Samurai Gourmet (Netflix)
- Doctor X (medical)
- You’re My Pet. Watched one episode. Too “kinky.”
- Atelier. A company in Tokyo makes custom women’s underwear.
- No Dropping Out, Back to School (an adult in high school)